Friday 15 March 2013

How To... Create a Modular Texture

When I first began to bring this project togethier in the planning stages I had a idea to use textures that could be re used and mapped to other assets, hopefully saving on texture space.


The two images below show where parts of the texture are used and how one part can be used several times.



Below are three images taken at various points of modeling.


The first image shows me modelling on top of the quick guide I layed out using planes. Its worth to note that while I model most of my development happens very quickly and because of the lack of pre modelling concept I am free to throw about ideas and try new things.

The second image shows all parts of the texture modelled with some slight adjustments from the first image.

The third image is the final model ready to be rendered out. In this final model I have added small details.

To render this finished model out and create a normal map, I used the 'render to texture' function under the rendering tab in 3ds Max.

To use this I had to create a plane in the front view that completly covers the model, this is named 'rendertotexture'. Next I checked that the rest of the models and elements which made up the texture were attached to form one object, I named this 'texture'.


To render out the texture you select the plane which will act sort of like the camera in my case the plane named 'rendertotexture'.

With this selected I opened the render to texture tool window. In this window you find projection mapping and click pick.



A add target box will appear containing all the objects in the scene excluding the plane you are rendering texture to. This is why I attached all the elements of the texture togeither as now I only require to add the one object. This really isnt nessary, however on previous attempts I found that Max became unresponsive temporaly when adding more than a hundred objects at a time. Plus by doing this I know I wont be missing any small details if I had other objects cluttering this list else where in the scene not related to the texture.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment